Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".

Can I Rent My Spare Room Out – Who Should I Inform About Taking In A Lodger?

Can I rent my spare room out? Who should I inform about taking in a lodger? You may be wondering what your obligations are if you are looking to rent a room out. It is important to handle everything above board, and below we reveal the steps that you need to take.

So, can I rent my spare room? There is no reason why you should not be able to rent a spare room out in your home. However, it is important to inform the right people. If you currently rent out your property, you need to inform the landlord of your intentions to rent out a spare room and you should get their permission in writing. If you’re the homeowner, you need to inform your mortgage provider. Aside from this, there are a few organisations that you may need to make aware of your intentions to take in a lodger. This includes the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). If you receive benefits, you need to let the DWP know; otherwise you are committing benefit fraud; even if it was unintentional. Aside from this, if you are on low income and receive Housing Benefit, you need to let the council know. Finally, Council Tax needs to be addressed. If you currently live on your own and are receiving a single person discount, which is set at 25 per cent, you will no longer be eligible for this, so you need to let the council know.

Now you know the answer to can I rent my spare room out, the next step is to find a suitable tenant. This is something you can do with Bellrooms Ltd. All you need to do is head to our website at https://www.bellrooms.com/. Or, if you have any queries, you can get in touch via 01483 698 677 or send an email to [email protected] Ltd.