Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".

Renting A Room Out In My House – Will It Impact Your Housing Benefit?

Renting a room out in my house - will it impact my Housing Benefit? If you live in a council house, you are able to rent out your spare room in order to make some extra money each month. However, it is important to be aware of what this means for your Housing Benefit.

Needless to say, the money you receive from renting out a room far outweighs any deduction you receive concerning your Housing Benefit. But, you do need to be aware of the deductions that are in place. If you currently get Housing Benefit, the first £20 per week you receive from your tenant won’t impact your benefit amount. If you are including meals as part of the tenancy agreement, then 50 per cent of anything over the £20 is also ignored. So, to give an example, if you rent a room out to a lodger at the cost of £40 per week and you do not provide meals, £20 of this is disregarded, meaning the leftover £20 is regarded as income when working out how much Housing Benefit you are entitled to every week. If you are renting the room to a family member, it is worth noting that there are some different rules in place. For instance, you may experience a reduction in your Housing Benefit because your relative’s income may be taken into account. This isn’t always the case, which is why speaking to an advisor is recommended.

How do I get started with renting a room out in my house? Now that you are aware of the relationship between having a lodger and your Housing Benefit, the only thing you need to do is find a good website for advertising your spare room. Luckily, you don’t need to search far, as Bellrooms Ltd has everything you need. Find out more at https://www.bellrooms.com/.